Best horse for Endurance riding...? (for fun thread)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jan 3, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    (This is a somewhat hypothetical, far in the future, for fun thread).

Sometime soon after we move to our big ranch I want to get horses. They will be used primarily for pleasure, but possibly endurance races as well (something I have been very interested in for over ten years) Both my bf and I will have our own horse. I want to know what breeds I am looking at as possible prospects... List positives and negatives of each breed... I'd like pictures too. [​IMG]

So here is a list of what I want in the horses;

1. Both my bf and I are big people, so the horses have to be able to carry heavy loads, (no light riders here). (Not to mention bf is 6'4)
    2. Great endurance a must.
    3. No breeds that are "prone" to lameness or diseases.
    4. Dark colors preferred, bay, dark chestnut, black etc.
    5. Would like horses that are fairly calm (at least for bf). [​IMG]
    6. Would like horses that don't eat a lot! (Only because if we are camping or out on the trail.)
    7. I want "hearty" horses, no foo foo dainty delicate horses.
    8. FAST! Must be fast.

Hmmm that's all I can think of for now, might add more later... Lets see what you come up with! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You need a mule! [​IMG]

3. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
  4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    mr. birdaholic :

You need a mule! [​IMG]

Yep.​

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mules, QH and TWH/Draft crosses.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Mules, QH and TWH/Draft crosses.

What's a TWH/ Draft cross?

You need a mule!

Why Mules?

That sounds like a Colonial Spanish Mustang. The true indian pony and Americas first horse.

I just looked at those and it says they are only around 13 hands high... can you imagine my 6'4" boyfriend on a horse 13hh? [​IMG]

C'mon peeps I want the reasoning and logic behind the answers too! [​IMG]

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Actually a 'gaited mule' would be a great idea.

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    ARABS!!!!!!!

Or Arab crosses. Can't be beaten. Only by an occasional Appaloosa. When I mean can't be beaten, I really mean they aren't beaten! No other breed has proven itself. If you really want to be competitive at endurance, you need an Arab or Arab cross. I've seen some Arab-Standardbreds, Arab-QH, Anglo-Arabs, Arab-Appaloosas, Arab-Saddlebreds and Arab-mustangs that make excellent endurance horses. Not all Arabs are psycho and most endurance horses have a "been there, done that" attitude.

If you really don't want an Arab, get an off the track TROTTING standardbred or an Appaloosa. Anything less and you really won't be competitive. Thoroughbreds usually make good endurance horses too but not all TBs have the right temperament.

Just about any horse can complete a LD endurance ride 25-30 miles but again, to really be competitive and build up a stash of coffee mugs, rump rugs, folding chairs and keychains, you really do need an Arab or Arab cross. Other breeds that do well are the exception, not the rule.

9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Arabian, best endurance horse there is.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:Most arabs I have seen are small and psycho... lol. How would I find ones that aren't? Would I look at breeders? What about the crosses, which of those are best? Are there breeders of those as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by