1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Hot/Cold weather egg layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Muley280, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Muley280

Muley280 New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    I've been doing some research on the best hot/cold egg laying chickens. I live in Maryland and was hoping to find out what birds you have experienced to be the best. I'm looking for high producing large eggs, they can be white or brown doesn't matter to me. Can anyone give their top choices?
    Thank you!

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    For producing eggs well in hot weather, go with Production Reds. I would also say Red or Brown Sexlinks (Stars, comets, Isa browns) but many strains of sex link eat a lot, therefore not being as efficient. Leghorns are also an old favorite, but they are somewhat flighty. You could also go with a leghorn-based production hybrid, like Production Whites or Ideal 236 (a favorite of mine). Barred rocks are good egg producers and handle the cold great; the heat ok--they are a heavier bird. Hope this helps :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by