Best humidity monitor

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by entropy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. entropy

entropy Out Of The Brooder

What is the best humidity monitor to buy? I am willing to pay more if it is significantly better. I live in a fairly dry area of N. CA and had trouble hatching turkey eggs last season. I think my humidity was off. I have a wooden cabinet incubator that maintains temperature well but I need something better for humidity.
    Thanks,
    Laura

2. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    I've been looking for the same Laura. Good luck!

so if anyone knows some good advice please post the good ones... I'm not looking for expensive Just something that works well.
    something that is easy to find would be great

3. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I use three humidity gadgets in my incubator. Two I bought at our local pet shop from the reptile section. They are on the smaller size but I get a better reading with them. They ran me a couple dollars each. The last one is digital and I keep it around more for temp than humidity reading. I bought this one at Wally World in the humidifier area.This one ran me $9.00 and its reading has been off from the beginning.

4. WVstruttin

WVstruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    WV
    Get the Brinsea Spot Check. Very affordable and really acurate. Check them out on their site.

5. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Ive got several and they all read different. I think any one particular one will work as long as its calibrated. I calibrated all mine and wrote + or - and the number of % it was off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. FLITZ

Feb 9, 2012
    I calibrated three.. I put them in a zip lock bag with a soda cap of salt and water. only one read close it was 75-76

so I figured just add 14 to one of them and sub 5 from the other..then they should all read the same..

WOW...I put them in and left them alone for nearly 24 hours.. If i do the math ..+14 on one and -5 on the other..and the thrid is correct already

THEY ALL READ differant....GRRR so far off I have no clue what is correct..what am i doing wrong

7. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Nothing !!! The best is wet bulb but its a Pain ....cva34

8. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Nothing is wrong. Ill mine are off different amounts. Calibrated is calibrated. THis is why I write the corrected number on them. It is very frustrating.

9. FLITZ

Feb 9, 2012
    I went out and got two new ones.

soo confusing when placed side by side they read the same as the one I had that was suppose to be of by 14%. its very strange to have three hygrometers all reading the same..
    but when calibrated they are all off so much....it almost seems calibrating is wrong. Should I just assume that they are all off by the same amount and use them. and add 14 or assume they are all correct. . 14% is a lot. it could make a difference in hatching or not. If i add 14% at lockdown and that is wrong I would only be at 63%

how can three different hygrometers all reading the same.....when calibrated be off by the same amount

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by