1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best hybrid chicken?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jdc361, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    I have seen that hybrids have been gaining popularity and was wonder whats the best kind? Are there different kinds? Cold hardy? Friendliness? Etc.

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    This is hard.

I
    'll start off by saying,the Black sexlink(Black rock).I have raised mines fora year now,and I love their eggs and personalities.
    Very friendly,but lay a little bigger bantam sized eggs i'm guessing you would say a medium sized egg.I had 1 broody black rock.And are very good egg layers and are most defint cold hardy birds.

The red sexlink is highly tempered i'd say.But she basically defends her self and would make a great mom as a chicken.Mines brooded and protects her nest well,also she is better at protecting her flock then her mate is.Good egg layers and lays I would say some where near X large eggs.Friendly to humans ETC and I believe from my experience,cold hardy.

3. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank you!!! I wish there would've been more reviews[​IMG] but at least I got one!!!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Which is the best hybrid depends on your purposes in having them. If sheer egg production is your main priority, Sex Links are the best layers as they are egg laying machines. I've raised both Black and Red Sex Links over the years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I personally prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been friendlier and laid slightly better in really cold, winter weather, however when it comes to eggs, you can't go wrong with either Sex Link variety. If you prefer white eggs to brown, Austra Whites and California Whites are both excellent layers. If meat is your objective, Cornish cross are the best meat chickens in the world. With their incredible growth rate, they are ready for butchering at 8 weeks. In fact, if you wait much beyond that, they begin to suffer from health problems due to their abnormal growth rates. If you want different colored eggs, Easter Eggers are the way to go as they lay blue, olive, green, beige, and sometimes even pale pink or gold eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. If you decide to get some of these wonderful hybirds, good luck with your flock.

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. I forgot to add that all of the hybrids on this list are cold hardy.

7. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    What about speckled Sussex? Any reviews?

8. 6275Smith

6275Smith Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! [​IMG] I haven't had Sussex but I've heard lots of positives with them.

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Speckled Sussex are a wonderful breed, but they are a true breed, not hybrids. They hardy, friendly and gentle (my children made lap pets out of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs (although they cannot match the hybrid egg laying machines such as Sex Links).

10. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    What other hybrid are there besides sex links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by