Best hygrometer for Genesis 1588?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clairebear, Dec 13, 2012.

1. clairebear

clairebear Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    New York
    I have a genesis 1588 incubator and would like to check the hygrometer for accuracy before setting eggs. The thermometer is fine according to the tests I ran on it but the hygrometer I'm having trouble with. Is there a hygrometer that someone can recommend, maybe with a probe? I don't want to drown any chicks.

When I fill the outer trough the humidity reads 50%. Is this too high for the first 17 days? It's been running for several days and the temps are very stable, even when I added some unfertile store bought eggs. I wanted to see if it would remain stable even with eggs and it did once it brought them up to temp.

Thanks,
    Claire

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Your first 17 days should be 35% or less...less would be better so that they lose enough moisture in the egg to get a good size air pocket. That way the baby has a place to pip to get air while they are trying to get out of the egg shell.

I was told when I got my Genesis that the digital hygrometer has a variation of +/- 5 % so I just make sure that what I get for an average is good no matter what. I shoot for about 30% that way at the highest it's 35% lowest it's 25%. Knowing my house it's probably closer to 25% since we have pretty low humidity here.

I do have an external temp and humidity meter that has a probe I can stick in the back of the bator to test. It shows that my hygrometer is dead on (same humidity) and my temp is off by 1 degree depending on which you look at. I got it from incubator warehouse.

3. clairebear

clairebear Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    New York
    Good to know, thank you for the tips. That's more in line with what I was thinking. 50% right off the bat seemed a little high to me. Right now it's stable at 36% with the center trough and one of the others right beside it that's a little smaller. I'm going to try filling the two troughs beside the larger center one and see if that brings it closer to 30% before setting. I was hoping to set tomorrow. The eggs have rested and should be ready to go. I placed an order for a turner and probe type hygrometer from incubator warehouse this evening. Hopefully they'll arrive soon.

4. barrelchick

barrelchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    LilyD - which external temp and humidity meter that has a probe did you get from Incubator warehouse? is it the IncuTherm Plus[​IMG] Hatch Monitor?

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I got the IncuThermâ„¢ Temp/Humidity Guage from incubator warehouse. It's pretty accurate for both temp and humidity.

6. barrelchick

barrelchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    ok that one doesn't have the probe...do you just set it inside the Genesis? I am having issues with my humidity and my hatch drowning and I saw this thread and that maybe my issue. The instructions from GQF said have humidity at 40-50% first 18 days then 50-60% for hatching and I bought a hygrometer and it says the humidity is off by 10-15 degrees. I may get this one as a backup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by