1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best in Show

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Daisy9696, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Daisy9696

Daisy9696 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    I would like to start showing poultry and fowl. What breeds are the flashiest and will stand out? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I think it all depends on your taste in chickens. In my opinion they all stand out and are flashy :). My favorites are the silver laced wyandottes. But there are others like the polish crested. They are neat chickens with crests on their heads or the ever popular silkies with black skin and "furr" like feathers. The possibilities are endless!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't see any pattern for the best in show winners. Sometimes they are flashy and fluffy with big poofy crests and sometimes they are very plain smooth and brown. Occasionally, best in show isn't even a chicken. Geese sometimes win and occasionally a duck will go best in show.

The modern games seem to do well. I see where several of those are big winners. Call ducks seem to do a lot of winning. The judge is looking for the bird that is closest to it's own standard, not for the flashiest bird.

I suggest that you raise the bird that you like the best and breed until your birds are very close to the standard. That is how you win a best in show.

4. Daisy9696

Daisy9696 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    Do you prefer silkies or bantams? Thanks

5. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I agree with Oregon Blues.

Silkies are a bantam and do not come in a standard size. The size depends on what you are looking for. I have large fowl because I can get eggs and they can also be eaten. They better fit what I am looking for in a chicken.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't think it matters is if the bird is flashy and stands out. The judges go down each row and handle each bird. The bird that wins, is the one that meets the SOP. You can buy a book that will list all the standards for Large Fowl and one for bantams, I just bought the Bantam Standards, when my girl won Champion d'Uccle at Ohio Nationals, I thought she was squaty, but no she was the perfect size as they are supposed to be tiny. Now I know what to go by and any bird I show will be as close to standards as I can get. I will show them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by