Best Incubator Brands?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Quails1, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Quails1

Quails1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Walnut, CA
    What are the best incubator brands? I've heard that Brinsea and Hovabator are the best brands, and LG (Little Giant) doesn't perform very well. I have used an LG incubator for incubating eggs throughout the seasons with coturnix, button, and bobwhite quail, and on the season of 2016, blue-scaled quail. For the blue-scaled quail, I've had none hatch. With the former quail (those before the blue-scaled), it was a success, until last season's eggs (blue-scaled quail eggs for 2016), being said again, none of them hatched. I'm not sure of the model number I have, but anyways, many say LG incubators don't do a good job. Because of all of this, I am planning on getting a new, better incubator (and it won't be Little Giant this time!), and the brand will be Brinsea, even though it's costly.

I'm not sure why they didn't hatch. I think it's because the eggs were infertile. Perhaps the incubator's brand, Little Giant, was the cause? I'm not 100% sure! May anybody here chime in to input help for me (any help is appreciated)! No offensive or harsh comments, please.

Thanks in advance!

2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I used to have Little Giant incubators (3 of them!!!) and they were horrible. I bought a Brinsea Octagon 20 in 2014 and my hatch rates went up from about 40% to almost 95% on average. Once I set my eggs in the incubator I don't have to worry about anything except adding water. My temp is ALWAYS 99.5 degrees F. I have chicks hatching in my Brinsea now and out of 19 eggs, 14 have hatched. (3 were not fertile so I don't blame the incubator for that)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I actually use a LG9200 very successfully, but it's a lot more work than the Hoavabators or the set em and forget em Brinseas. The newer digital LGs are awful. The gages are way off and the sensor has a tendancies to cause heat spikes. You can still hatch from them if you figure out the bator's problems and adjust for them, but I would never recommend them and usually recommend against them and for the Hovabator or Brinseas. If you have the $ Brinsea is a good investment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by