Best incubator for $50

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ILoveChickens01, Jul 27, 2014.

1. ILoveChickens01

ILoveChickens01 Chirping

Jul 17, 2014
    I am looking for an incubator. I do not need a turner, I am willing to do it by hand. I want to pay around $50. What am I looking at? I found a Hova-Bator 1602N for $55. I found a Little Giant[​IMG] Still-Air Incubator for $45. Which one will achieve higher hatch rate?

Thanks!

P.S.

Don't say "A Hen". I want to hatch year round.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. bantyhen

bantyhen Chirping

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    I am using my friend's still air incubator, which costs about $45. The eggs have different hatch dates, but so far, I have three baby chicks. I recommend this incubator.

3. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Songster

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I hear much better things about the Hova-Bators and not great things about the Little Giants. There are tons of threads about them if you search : )

4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

We really liked the Brinsea Mini Eco, it's forced air, and with a slightly higher price tag at 95$, but you might be able to find one used for cheaper. It holds 7-10 eggs.

5. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Songster

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I really really want one... I hope to get one in the next week or so : )

6. ILoveChickens01

ILoveChickens01 Chirping

Jul 17, 2014
    I have decided to go for the Hova-Bator. I will show hatching photos when I set it up!

7. bantyhen

bantyhen Chirping

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    Good luck hatching chicks. I would like to give you a few tips for hatching using an incubator. Be sure to keep water in the water holders. This keeps much needed humidity in the air. I find turning the eggs every eight hours or more works best. More is better than less. Every four hours would be good too or anywhere in between four and eight hours. Try to turn the eggs at regular intervals. Wait until chicks are dry and active (about twenty four hours) before
    putting them into your prepared brooder. Read the owners manual for your particular incubator and follow those instructions carefully. Some of this information is from Gardening with Guineas by Jeanette Furguson. These tips apply to chicks as well. I have personally used them.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: