Best Incubator for Duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mp3, Jan 9, 2011.

1. mp3

mp3 New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    I'm going to be hatching my own duck eggs soon for my farm and the lake. I'm doing some research on incubators online and i'm just trying to figure out which one would be my best choice. I am looking for one with an auto turner, and it doesn't need to be massive in size, maybe 20 duck eggs maximum. It can be more or less though. Does anyone have some recommendations?

thanks,

MP3

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I would go with the Brinsea Octagon 20 Either Eco or Advance....

What types of duck eggs are you going to be hatching?

And [​IMG] from West Monroe, La

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. mp3

mp3 New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    for now i just want mallard eggs, but later, who knows!

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I hatched ducks in my Hovabator 1588 last year with zero problems. It is cheaper than the Brinsea and LOTS of people have them and love them.

5. mp3

mp3 New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    id like to do something with an auto turner. is it included with a hovabator?

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    You can buy it with or without the turner. Mine has the turner and I wouldnt change that for the world.

7. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Brinsea, with humidity pump. [​IMG]

I hatched call duck eggs in a Brinsea MiniAdvance EX. It holds 7; I put 5 in, with two of my Cayuga eggs, and got 4 call ducklings. I think my Cayuga's eggs were too porous... But call ducks! [​IMG]

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The best hatches we ever had for waterfowl eggs was in a Hovabator. We use Sportsman incubator now and it doesn't do nearly as well.

Steve

10. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    You need something that can hold humidity well for any type of waterfowl. I personally love my old Redwood incubator. If you can rig up some sort of system for adding water without opening the lid, the Hovabator might work ok. Misting the eggs with lukewarm water every time you turn helps some people. I've also found that if you lay waterfowl eggs on their side and handturn they do much better too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by