best incubator for first timer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redturtle, Aug 17, 2010.

1. redturtle

redturtle Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    DH just said something about being interested in hatching out some eggs!!!!! HUH!!!!! how do you like them apples?! [​IMG]

when we first got chixn i just figured if any went broody then we would have some babies...i wasnt worried about the whole incubating thing (not that i didnt want to...just figured DH would never be interested)

so anyway long story short....i have done some research...now looking for input

a good incubator for a first timer...a smallish one (but not one that only holds 3 or 7 eggs...too small)...

if i can find an expensive one for cheap thats all well and good...just dont want to pay an arm or leg.... [​IMG]

still air or a fan...per my research it seems fans help w/ the hatch better since the air is circulated and there are no hot/cold spots...

anyway any info you want to give me...pls feel free....thnx much [​IMG]

2. Redturtle

I had great results with a Genesis 1588 (made by GQF) with the autoturner

Check ebay or your local craigslist....

3. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Yard full o' rocks :

Redturtle

I had great results with a Genesis 1588 (made by GQF) with the autoturner

Check ebay or your local craigslist....

I have to agree it's a little more expensive then the LG but for the money saved in all the eggs I lost (with a LG) it's totally worth it.​

4. quail kid1

quail kid1 Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    I would recommend you a covatutto 6 which si a still air but I have had 5 ducklings from 6 eggs in it and its not very costly or the brinsea mini eco incubator which is a bit more expensive but is forced air and keeps humdiit yand temps rock stable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: