1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best incubator for the money?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty_South_Chickens, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I will be a first time incubator and have kicked around building a DIY bator but would like to weigh my options on just spending alittle lettuce buying a good one. Any ideas...Thanks

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i'd buy a broody hen! if you can find one being sold right now! the only issue is you have to find a good one that will time her broodiness to the time you want to hatch!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I'm a newbie to incubating and hatching, having completed two hatches thus far and have another 7 eggs are in the incubator now.

ANY Brinsea product, but if you only want to do small hatches, the Brinsea Mini Advance is WONDERFUL. I bought two more of them after I had a successful first hatch in the first. Go to www.Brinsea.com and buy it there, using the "web sales" link. Currently $119.99.

Many other folks hatch more eggs at a time and are happy with the Brinsea Octagon 20 versions. (I'm considering getting one to add to my collection so I can hatch smaller batches AND a larger number of eggs with different dates....)

FOOL-PROOF. Easy, digital controls. Pretty much plug and play operation!

4. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    I have a Brinsea Octo 20 ECO and it works great. I got the auto turner as well and altoget in cost about $150 plus S&H. There customer service is great as well. If you are thinking about doing the DIY incubator search some of the post on here. I know some people have had wonderful results, and it is probly much cheaper. Good luck.

5. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    yeah but I have a problem with not getting crazy with DIY's and spend just as much if not more ha!

6. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    glad to see another texan [​IMG]

it really depends on how many eggs you want to hatch at a time....

there are good small bators and then the huge 700 egg bators...

i dont like Styrofoam....for i stayed away from the hovabators/ little giants...

wanted something that would last and parts were easy to get...

didnt want to pay a arm and leg either.....

wanted something that i didnt have to open the bator to add water too....

shopped for 6 months...and finally bought a used Lyon/Marsh Turn X off of Ebay.... for $80

ive had 90-100% hatch rates from it....

temps are very stable
    holds humidity like a dream...and no opening it to add water as it has a water bottle
    also has a automatic turner.....

holds between 18 to 70 eggs depending on the size....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by