best incubator for the money?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frost Homestead, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    We're looking into getting an incubator but I've heard so many things about each brand I figured I should come here and ask the experts! I don't want to get a bad incubator just to save a few bucks, but I also don't want to spend more than I have to.

If you'd care to share any advice or experiences you've had I'd be grateful!

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Best for the money, would probably be a Hovabator. But I'm gona tell you about a differnet one...........

I wish I had a hova, but I have an LG. The LG isn't that bad........you'l read a lot of people saying they hate it so bad, and some people say that the only used it once, and sold it after word. Well....if you only used it once, you obviously wont get that good of a hatch. It takes a couple tries, but The worst hatch rate I got from my LG was 50%, and that's not really that bad. By the 4th time I used it, got a 75% hatch, so you just really have to use it a couple times, to get to know how it works.

My LG was like $50 and the egg turner was another $50 so it all added up to around a 100 bucks, probably the cheapest to buy, and one of the cheapest in quality lol. But it works just fine. The temp and humidity will be waaay more stable if you have it in some kind of cupboard or big empty drawer, or any place where there isn't much change in the enviornment around it.

1 person likes this.
  3. chick magnet

chick magnet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Im planning on ordering a incubator soon too.When i used to hatch out alot of birds,i had the #1202 i think it was,sportsman incubator,with the clear door and the automatic water set-up.I loved it but now i wouldnt be hatching near so many eggs.So im thinking about the new Hovobator,looks like a nice system.For those that already have this model,can you use a quail and chicken egg rack in them at the same time or just one or the other?

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    That's actually a pretty good idea. My house is pretty drafty and the temp. changes a lot throughout the day. I definitely have a big empty drawer or closet I could put it in.

So far we are torn between a fan circulated picture window Hovabator with auto egg turner or the Brinsea advance with auto egg turner. I like the Hovabator because I can fit more eggs in it (twice as many!) [​IMG] but my husband seems to think the Brinsea Advanced that hold 24 eggs will be enough...lol. I think he likes the Brinsea because it's not styrofoam and the egg turner moves the egg every hour. I don't know how often the Hovabator turns the eggs.

I guess I'll keep doing some research, I've got about a week or so until I plan on buying one (and searching the auction for eggs!)

5. kelly52862

kelly52862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    I'm a newbe and bought the Hovabator, egg turner and fan (new) on Ebay for around $120 with shipping. I did 3 hatches last year and will hatch on Saturday. I have no experience with any others incubators. It was easy to set up, easy to hatch (amazing) and had very good luck with them temp and humidity. I wish the windows were bigger.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have the brisea eco 20 with the trurner and like it temps are rock solid and clean up is very easy. I'm in western kentucky and have electric heat so the house is pretty dry. For the first 18 day I just keep water in 1 trough and humidity stays 28 - 32 % for lockdown fill both troughs and humidty stays 55-60 till the first hatch then goes up. While its true it only holds 24 eggs thats still a lot of extra birds if you only have 7 now. Besides you can always fill it up again in three weeks.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have an r-com eco. It is rock solid on temp and humidity, turns the eggs, plays a little tune. It's fun, and it has a big clear view window. It recovers temps quickly if you open it. I also have a hova 1588 with digital thermostat. I like that one too. Harder to get consistent temp if your house temp is not consistent. I put a piece of bubblewrap over it, and it keeps the temp steady.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by