Best incubator ? In your opinion?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChampionAlex, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ChampionAlex

ChampionAlex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    CT
    Hello I was to know peoples opinions on the best incubator they had/have. I am looking for something small and not too expensive for duck eggs / chicken eggs. To hold in total 6? If there is any out there. So give me some suggestions please because my ducks/chickens havent become brody and they are a year old.

2. cwalsh2

cwalsh2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    The genesis 1588 is reliable if you keep the humidity at 25-35 for the first 18 days, then raise to 60 or so. Keep some golf balls in the nest to encourage broodiness, if you have breeds prone to broodiness.

3. ChampionAlex

ChampionAlex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    CT
    They do have a nest, but all the chickens place their eggs on that one nest in the cage and occasionally I find some of the eggs broken in the morning. Im not really sure if my chickens or ducks are mating at all I havent seen no activity and it is a good ratio.

4. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    I quite like the Brinsea Octagon incubator. It's reliable and easy to work with.

If you'd prefer a broody hen, though, and you don't plan to make a habit of incubating, you might find it less expensive to get a silkie hen (or another broody) for the purpose of hatching eggs for you.

5. Uriel

Uriel Out Of The Brooder

I have the Brinsea mini advance for $150-$160, holds 7 eggs, temp control, digital display, auto turn, and it does a great job. When its about hatching time i stick a little dish of water in to increase humidity, and the chicks seem to pop out without any trouble. I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by