best incubator under 150? and some more questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brianm97, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    So even though I promised myself no hatching eggs...... I was wondering if there is an incubator under 150 for me to get. or will a home made be best. my mom and step dad are all for me trying to hatch and i will take some chicks if i can get some to hatch and i have friends that would love some. the biggest issue is here im not supposed to have chickens so i think a rooster is pushing it. our town is "strict" on this rule. but yet one of my best friends has 5 roos i see coops everywhere, (i got flogged in the dunkin doughnuts a few weeks ago) and the person next to the police station has them [​IMG] so yea. i think that it is just mostly if they get a complaint they have grounds to remove them. but i was wondering where to get the eggs. i can borrow a rooster for a few days from my friend on a farm. they want some hens for him besides the 2 he has. so to sum it up whats the best incubator, and the best way to get eggs. i plan on ordering a few just for fun but for the most of the eggs where do i get them. ( sorry im very unorginized, i think i have an undiganosed case of add and adhd [​IMG] and have horriable spelling)

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    As long as I can read it, I can handle your spelling tee hee! Craigslist is what I do when I want some eggs to hatch, or need to pad out my incubator to fill it up. Or just go knock on the door of some of those people with the coops in their backyard and ask them to sell you some. Or look for someone near you from BYC and ask them for eggs!

I just ordered the Brinsea ECO with autoturn, but if you are available to turn it yourself you can get just the incubator for $99 right now, on sale! Check their website.

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I might suggest look for people selling fresh eggs, then see if they have roos with the hens. I just stopped at a house down the road where I saw a few chickens in the yard one day, turns out she has some of the breeds I was looking for. When she segregates the hens with the roo then I'll have some cuckoo marans (or mostly marans?) eggs to play with.

I might suggest a 'trial run' with some local eggs first before jumping into shipped eggs though. That way if something goes wrong in the incubation you're not out lots of money for eggs and shipping.

If I were closer I'd give you some of my eggs (mixed bantam), but it's a bit of a drive from CT to VA LOL

before I offer a suggestion let me ask you this... is anyone in the house handy with cobbling together electronics?? if so, www.lllreptilesupply.com has the best price for the HovaBator 1602 ($40) and 1582 (picture window - $53) still air incubators, then just wire up a 12v computer fan with an old 12 cell phone charger (or similar) and voila! you have forced air. add a turner for $40-50 and you're good to go! or for $79 (from same guys) you can get the forced air picture window incubator. all of these use the wafer-style thermostat. If you want more advanced pre-set electronic thermostat with forced air, the HovaBator Genesis 1588 is an excellent incubator at $120 from www.incubatorwarehouse.com but does not include a turner. (these prices don't include shipping either, but that's usually under $15)

I rely on the turner myself, because I might forget to turn the eggs or something and don't want to take that chance... as my friends like to remind me k.i.forgot strikes again. (ham radio call sign is ki4got)

good luck!

4. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    thanks what is that website ? "santa" is already asking what i want [​IMG] and my step dad is an IT directior so we have plenty of fans and what not. im sure we could set a fan up somehow. my friend from school has roos maybe she will let me have a few if i promise a few if i can get them to hatch. and yea VA is just a tad to far [​IMG] thanks for the offer. [​IMG]

5. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:which website for what? 8) I got my 1602 and 1582 from www.lllreptilesupply.com (just type incubator on their search, it's the first link) I bought both at the same time, with shipping came to $105 for both... my plan is to use the turner with the 1602 (smaller windows) and use the 1582 (picture window) as the hatcher. I bought 2 thermometer/hygrometers off ebay for $7.25 each also, and while they don't register temps rapidly, it'll give me a ballpark idea of where I'm at (with min/max memory). I got 4 by mistake, and willing to sell them for what I have in them (plus shipping) if you are interested. nice large numbers too, so these old eyes won't have to squint. LOL

Once I get my incubators I'll callibrate all the thermometers to find out what's most accurate and go from there.

6. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    ok i will definatly think and consider that! and the link for the incubator on sale. are there any turners for quail too? is there a max/min egg size or quanity? like for some strange reason if i ever had enough land to own an ostrich could i fit a few eggs in there? (their my favorite animal)

7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:ok my bad... the website is www.lllreptile.com ok now i need to go find the dozen or so posts i lined the wrong web page to LOL

[​IMG] the 1602 and the 1582[​IMG]

Hovabator makes several universal turners, one comes with chicken and quail sized rails. I got mine off ebay but found today that jefferspet.com has the same turner for less than 've found anywhere else except used... and for what it's worth, oegb eggs are slightly too large for the quail egg slots. 8)

8. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I got the 1602 & the auto turner for $109 out the door, lol from Cackle. No tax, no shipping, no fuss. Shipped the 8th, got it yesterday.

9. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I do like the Brinsea Eco 20 with turner. It all plastic for easy cleaning and will last a long time. The only draw back is hold 24eggs max. I put my temperature with humididy in the incubator for 1 hour to verify the operation. Then the temperature probe is removed and replace with the egg. The eggs are incubator dry without water (humidity 32-38%) for the 1st 18 days. I added the water after the final candle date (18 days) and left its alone until hatch. It can be any easy than that.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    How come nobody is encouraging the Op to consider buying the finest Incubator in the hatching industry, The world renowned LG, you all how good it is !!!! and very inexpensive too. [​IMG] [​IMG]:gig

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by