Best incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redstarbill, Nov 3, 2008.

1. redstarbill

redstarbill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    what would you say is the best incubator is for the money? I've seen a lot for $149 that come with the egg turner. I've never had one. so not sure which one to get.

2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:The easiest in that price range to "set and forget" would be the Hovabator Genesis w/ auto turner. You add your eggs/water and that's about it. [​IMG]

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I think the most important part of the Genesis is that it does not have the wafer thermostat and that is the part that makes the less expensive ones much more difficult to operate. The better incubators all have electronic or solid state thermostats. If I knew then what I know now I would not waste my time and money with anything else. Read the information about each unit you might consider and buy one with electronic thermostat. The Genesis is also forced air, meaning there is a fan that circulates the air for more stable overall temperatures, it is very important. The turners are very nice especially if you are not home all the time. If I had to choose between a good thermostat and forced air or a turner I would go with the better thermostat any day. I am home tho and I sort of like turning the eggs. It gives me a reason to be more involved on a daily basis.

I had a Hova Bator at first and I then bought a Brower Top Hatch which I really liked allot. It is much more durable, very easy to operate and has all of the thing I mentioned above. It is operated with a light that goes off and on and that bothers some people if you can't place it in a place where it will not disturb. It is a great little incubator and holds around 40 standard eggs. It does make a whirring noise that get more quiet after a few days.

I have since upgraded yet again and there are many really good incubators but the price is significantly more. If you have occasion to see a used TX-6 or Brinsea Octagon grab it up. $ 200.00 would be an exceptional bargin for either one.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a Hova 1583 cirulated air that I got as a present last year. It has wafer thermostat and I have the turner with it that holds 40 so. I've hatched close to 300 chicks in it alone this year and have had no problems since day one keeping temps and humidity.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have a hovabator but much prefer my old outdated "pancake style" metal, Brower to anything I have used. I don't have a automatic turner but I don't care too turn the eggs by hand, it's just no big deal to me. I have had excellent hatch rates in the Brower as long as the eggs were good to begin with. It holds heat like nothing else I have used. Friends laugh at me when they see it but I love it! "Old Reliable" [​IMG]

6. redstarbill

redstarbill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    thanks everyone, I'll do some reasearch on these models. just want to start out in the right direction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by