Best Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheChiggens, Nov 19, 2019.

1. TheChiggens

TheChiggens The Cluckmazing Factor

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    What is the best incubator for beginners?
    Wondering what people's experience is...

I may be giving it a try this spring! and I thought id start my research here!

Thanks my fellow BYCer's :D

2. TheChiggens

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    One more question I've had for a while:
    How do hatcheries ship hatching eggs?

3. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Best incubator is somewhat subjective. I had some luck with the brinsea mini advanced but it burned out really fast, right after the warranty was up. Still, it was totally automatic and I didn't have to touch anything practically the whole incubation which was nice. In only held a few eggs though.
    The big foam ones like the little giant are better if you don't mind experimenting a little, more maintenance or want to hatch A LOT more eggs.
    Theoretically the "best" and most fool proof incubators are the cabinet ones but the prices on those are liable to make a person faint, and they hold way more eggs than the average person needs.

Hatcheries and breeders alike ship eggs very carefully and it depends on the hatchery but generally speaking they're shipped through the normal post office on 2-3 day shipping. Shipped eggs should be individually wrapped and nestled point side down in some sort of packing material that compresses to withstand shock of transport (I use crumpled newspaper but I've seen packing peanuts, shredded paper, bubble wrap, straw, foam bits and even sawdust). Ideally, hatching eggs also have fragile printed on all sides of the box they're shipped in with this side up labels.

TheChiggens likes this.
  4. I have the Brinsea Mini Advanced. It holds seven eggs. It is really, really easy to use for a beginner. I read a lot about hatching and actually was a little disappointed that the Brinsea required so little of us. We had six eggs to hatch. Two never developed but we got four healthy, lively chicks.

Two negatives which are not very serious:
    1. The fan runs all of the time and is a bit noisy. We didn’t have to keep it in the house but I could see how it could bug.
    2. It only comes with one disc of hatching surface. If you’re going to do sequential hatches, buy more so you have them.

TheChiggens likes this.
  5. TheChiggens

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks, everyone I will take your advice as I go along!

6. TheChiggens

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    So there are a few weeks?- Before the fertile eggs need to be incubated.

Also, best to start with a bunch because of the fatality rate? (although may get a lot of roosters)

7. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    I love my RCOM incubators!:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: