1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wilobrookfarms, Oct 20, 2011.

1. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    What is the best incubator for a newby? Inexpensive, reliable, non complicated?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    anything will work except the LG which I am sure will be at the top of your list because of cost and availability. The LG will cost you more $$ and headaches in the future, sure some have been blessed or fibbing but the truth is you can do so much better than chinese junk LG. WTS The Hovabators are a very popular choice and are very reliable and also pretty inexpensive.

3. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Does LG stand for little giant? I have been looking at the hovabators.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes it does............... yeah the Hova's are fine.

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I use LG and have no problems. Any of the incubators on here even the cabinet ones have hatching difficulties at some point. It really is up to you what you use but I can tell you that no matter what you choose you still might have a bad hatch now and again. You just have to try again and change things a bit so they work better.

6. GOLDBRICKERR

GOLDBRICKERR New Egg

Oct 16, 2011
    Just make one, It's not as hard as you may think.

7. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Can I butt in here too? [​IMG]

I'm looking for my first one and have looked at the hovabators. My questions is that some of the ones I've seen on Ebay seem to have different options. Like the egg turner (which I want), temp and/or humidity gages? And one said something about a turbo fan or some kind of fan. What equipment exactly would I need to be sure I have to start a setting? Since I work away from the home I need something that can be left alone during the day. I just don't want to order something then find out I'm missing a vital part. [​IMG]

Thank you!

Also, what's the average age a roo "can do"? [​IMG]

8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    If you will be away all day I would suggest an egg turner and also the circulating fan so the temp will be the same throughout the incubator. I would also suggest a temp and humidity guage with a memory in it so you can see what the high and low temp and humidity were while you were gone all day. Hovabators have temp spikes too as do brinseas. I have haunted the forums for quite a while and found that there is no such thing as a hands free incubator. If you check through the postings you will see lots of posts about problems with just about all of them. You just have to chose what works best for you.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I have to respectfully disagree, most incubators are fairly worry free even some of the styrobators, never in a quality cabinet bator. I know as so many others do that the LG does have a terrible reputation and that there are far more dissatified LG owners than any other bator on the market today, like I said...... sure some get lucky and get one that actualy works and even will hatch a few eggs, but LG owners will get to defensive when they are not reccomended as a viable choice. But we are being responsible and realistic by trying to keep the potential LG buyer from making a costly mistake and seriously look more closely at any of the real incubators.
    Although this is only my oppionion but can be backed up in fact by the hoards of unsatisfied Lg owners.

10. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:Thank you, I don't mean to say I don't want to have any fussing with it....but can I comfortably leave it 8 hours or so and it be OK? I can have hubby check on it once during the day, and I'm happy to adjust things am/pm. I just will have to be away several hours during the day. Do you usually buy these things separately or is there a big kit out there that has everything? I like the one-stop-shop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by