Best Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HiddenBrookAcres, Nov 25, 2011.

1. HiddenBrookAcres

HiddenBrookAcres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Rhode Island
    What would you all recommend for an incubator? I would really like to attempt my first hatch this coming spring. Doing my homework now...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The best?
    http://www.natureform.com/
    That said, it's not for the backyarder.
    Therefor IMO a homemade incubator is best.
    It takes time and study but when you compare the cost to that of really good small incubators. I just can't afford those and the cheapest ones have not served me well.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have heard great things about the Brinsea Mini Advance: http://www.amazon.com/Brinsea-Advance-Incubator-Automatic-Turning/dp/B002ILOCS0 It's very simple.

A lot of people also rave about the Brinsea Octagon Eco: http://www.amazon.com/Brinsea-Octagon-Auto-Turn-Incubator/dp/B001UFJTJC/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

I
    have the mini advance, but the auto turner is broken. I'm about to ship it back to Brinsea to be repaired. My first hatch spent most of the time under a broody, with the final few days in the mini advance, and I had 4/7 hatch. I am just finishing up an incubation that spent the whole time in the incubator. All seven started developing, but it's day 22 and not a single one hatched. I'm not sure if the fault is the incubator or mine. I would assume mine because I've heard nothing but good about this incubator, but I felt like I did everything right, so I don't know.

4. HiddenBrookAcres

Nov 10, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:Ok maybe not the BEST. Haha but a nice one for hatching out a couple dozen eggs. I have been looking at the hova incubators. Has anyone used this type and if so, your opinions? Thank you

5. Jennmom2three

Jennmom2three Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    I am thinking I want a cabinet bator [​IMG] My husband will kill me [​IMG] But I love the little fuzzybutts!!! [​IMG]:jumpy

6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I went with homemade incubators. They have done great.

7. HiddenBrookAcres

Nov 10, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:seems like homemade is the popular route...any websites that would walk me through it?

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a Sportsman cabinet incubator, a Little Giant forced air with an egg turner, and a couple of Hova-Bators. All can be mastered. The Hova-Bator is good for starting out. The Hova-Bator 1588 has pre-set temperature. All you have to do is add eggs and water. A turner is optional. I did get a turner. I started out with the LG styrofoam incubator and then went to the Hova-Bators and now the cabinet incubator. Now I incubate in the cabinet incubator and hatch in the styrofoams. I also have a homemade incubator that I use now for hatching too.

Here is a thread on the Little Giant operating tips. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=601352

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Hovabator 1588 with an automatic turner. Practically foolproof. Seriously, I'm very new at this but have had good success with my two incubating attempts so far. You basically just plug it in. And the price is reasonable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by