1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckiefanatic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. duckiefanatic

duckiefanatic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    What Incubator works the best?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It depends on how much you are willing to spend.

For a beginner incubator, I like the Genesis 1588. It's simple and easy to operate.

3. duckiefanatic

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks! :p

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I am currently using the hova-bator still-air *cheapest* model available. I believe it was $55(ish). It's my first hatch and I didn't want to spend an absolute fortune on something I would never use again.

If you don't mind turning the eggs by yourself instead of letting a turner do it, and you don't mind checking the temp and humidity meters a few times per day - it's a great bator. The temp has stayed between 99.5 and 100 the whole time and as long as I only put water in the first water trough (they are all clearly labeled) then everything stays good.

The eggs were shipped and so far 9 out of 18 are still going strong. I thought it was 7 the other day, but after another candling ...there's proof of life in 2 more. =] It's a very easy to use bator if you have time on your hands to do all the turning/temp/humidity monitoring.

(Sometimes more expensive doesn't mean better) [​IMG]

I have the Brinsea Octagon 20 as well (because I'm having fun and I know I'll want to do more of it)...but haven't tried it yet.

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have two Hovabators (1602 and a 1588) and two Brinseas (Octagon 20 and a mini). Both the 1588 and the Octagon 20 are great, and they're my favorites. But they are a little more expensive than other incubators, but for me, since I do a lot of hatching they're more than worth it. If you're going to be doing small hatches, you might like the Brinsea Mini Advance as it pretty much does everything for you.

Almost forgot, :welcome

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  6. aoxa

I agree about the expensive doesn't always mean better. I borrowed a 15 year old hovabator and it held temps better than my 1588, but I highly enjoy the picture window, which was the selling point to me. I want to see what's going on. 2 tiny windows aren't going to cut it for me :p

Also my 1588 holds humidity better.

7. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

100% agree with you in that aspect! I wish the entire top was one huge window..lol I'm not even sure I'm going to go with the Octa20 because of that (there's a big black lid that covers practically all the eggs and makes them hard to see in there). I haven't heard of the 1588? I'll go google that.lol

8. duckiefanatic

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks guys!

9. aoxa

The entire incubator should be see through. :p

[​IMG]
    Note that mine is the digitally monitored incubator.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You should raise your temp to 101* at the top of the eggs or they won't develop right. Just a thought
    Michele

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by