Best Incubators for Buttons

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PoultryQueen29, Feb 27, 2012.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    As many of you may know, due to my many threads about it, I am hatching button quail. I have a Little Giant Still-Air Incubator that I used to hatch bobwhites February, 2010. Is there a better incubator I should get? I got good results before. 5/6 of my bobwhites hatched but I see bad reviews about the temperature not being stable. It seems all incubators have some reviews like that.

2. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not familiar with little giant but I have heard people say that they're pains in the butt. There's lots of neat little mini bators on the market now - the R-COM mini holds 3 chicken eggs but I'm not sure about the turning mechanism and if it will fit button eggs. Brinsea also put out a little dome incubator that looks cool. Basically what you want in a good incubator is forced air, easy turning that doesn't involve putting your hand in to loose heat, and an easy to control temperature. If you are only setting a few eggs at a time, you don't need a big hovabator or anything. I would look at the Brinsea website and see what they have. I have friends who have Brinseas and love them. I used to hatch by quail in a home-made unit. You can make one if you're handy or have a handy hubby/dad LOL. I buy a thermostat switch and wafer for 25 bucks from a guy on eBay called growerssolution, wire it up to a lightbulb, wire up a computer fan to an ac/dc adaptor, stick the whole unit into a beer cooler and presto. I usually cut a fist-sized hole in the side that i can plug up and stick my hands in to turn the eggs that way instead of opening the lid, because i let too much humidity out that way. I hatched hundreds of quail in units like these. it IS nice to have the fully automated system though.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok I think i'll get the Brinsea mini [​IMG] Quick decision. It's really crazy though. With the Little Giant, automatic egg turners cost about $100 for the chicken egg turner and the quail rails. That's about the cost of an actually good incubator.

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wait...that's still manual turning...will that hurt them? I did it with the bobwhites and it's no diffferent from taking them out to candle them is it?

5. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nevermind i'll get the advanced mini. That one's like set it and forget it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by