Best kind of chicken waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Miss717, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    Looking for opinions and suggestions. What is the best kind of chicken waterer to use. Right now I just have a base that I turn a 5 gallon bucket over on top of, but water doesn't stay as fresh as I'd like. My chickens free range most of the day on most days. They like to drink out of the bird bath. I've moved it to a more convenient place where I can fill it up easier. Seems to work for all involved, but they're going to hate it come winter when they can't be out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. wayne1614

wayne1614 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    I have had the plastic and galvanized ones and I prefer the metal ones. Taking that plastic top off all the time gets old

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I use chicken nipples in a 2.5 gal pail in their coop. I also fill 2 flower boxes in their run every morning as a treat. I was skeptical about the benefits of using chicken nipples, but the water stays clean longer. The drawback is that I am not forced to refresh their water as often- I get a little lazy. IMO, they work great.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Chicken Waterer Cups never drip and have a small bowl of water for them to drink from, which they prefer.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by