Best kind of incubator to get??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jackrooster, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I have an LG incubator and i dont know if it me or the incubator buut every time i take the top off it the temiture goes down ....and wont go back up......."say the little thermometer that cam with it".......so im think of getting a new one what is the best kind to get that holed quite a few eggs and is very accurate.

2. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    someone??

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry, you have the worst commercial bator there is. Anything else including homemade bator (if designed and made with some brains) will beat LG (Little Monster).

I,ve been there, I still keep my LG , only cause I do not want to pollute the environment trashing it.

4. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    I have a hova bator that was a still air and I installed a fan in it after purchase. It is the styrofoam one, I think 1602 and it has been great. Holds temps and humidity and has the same capacity as the LG. I have an LG too that is going to be sold to someone who has time to sit on top of it and supervise it 24/7 because it drives me nuts!

5. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    you really need to ask yourself "how many eggs do i want to hatch?" before you can come to a complete concensus of which bator would best suit your needs. i use a dickey with 3 turners and one hatcher. it holds temps perfect even when opening and closing the door. i have no complaints with it and plan to buy another at the beginning of the year. but everyone doesnt need a bator with a 288 chicken egg capacity and a $600 price tag. i would go with GQF as my second choice, but still, i wouldn't get a still air model. definatley get something with a fan and buy another thermometer, preferrably digital (the ones that come with all of the syrofoam models are not the most accurate.) again this is JMO.

6. Thegamekeeper

Thegamekeeper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    Ive got a brinsea octagon 20 mk with cradle. there brilliant incubators. [​IMG]

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    try building one, you can build a very nice one for what the price of a hova bator will be & hold a lot more eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by