1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best kind of minimal waste feeder? Homemade...trough...or rounded?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickylou, Feb 20, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Hi,

I'm reading the McMurry catalogue we just received and inside they have several types of feeders, but one comes highly recommended. Its a 4 inch high by 4 ft long trough with bars in a gothic shape that separate the trough into maybe 5 or 6 sections. They say this type has the best results for not wasting feed.

The other is like a bucket with circles all around the rim. Like the kind used for baby chicks, but with a five gallon bucket.

I guess my question is...do any of you have experience with these? Have you found your homemade PCV pipe feeder or other kinds to be just as effective?

Any thoughts on this? I hope I'm not repeating any recent post questions.

2. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I have a couple of the long ones for newly hatched chicks but for the larger birds I usually make my own. Almost anything can be made into a feeder. I use anything from plastic jugs (mayo jars) with holes cut into the sides for small pens that I only have a few chicks in to large PVC or wooden ones for large pens. For the jug feeders I cut several small holes around the sides at the bottom and then attach an aluminum pie plate to the bottom with screws. You can fill it from the top and keep the lid on. There is less waste and they also can't poop in it.

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I have all kinds of feeders... but the best feeder I ever bought was a 3 gallon plastic bucket. They can flip food everywhere and it stays inside... I anchor the buckets so they can't flip them.

I plan to switch everyone to 3 gallon buckets this year

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have made several of these feeders, I really like how easy they are to use for me, and the chickens have virtually no wasted feed.

AL

[​IMG]

as you can see, they have to get their heads way in the trough, hence no billing out, and plenty big for them ( large breeds ) to have access.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Cool

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I think the pan under Chicken Obcessed is the critical factor. I use dryer vent pipe in a similar pan. Most chicken stuff can be figured out with used material without ordering expensive stuff. Of course, if you have lots of money order away.

7. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    al6517:
    What kind of pan is that? I have not been able to find one that is that deep. I would love to have one like that.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Love my Critters! :

al6517:
    What kind of pan is that? I have not been able to find one that is that deep. I would love to have one like that.

Yea the pan is the key, sharp eye Critter. I got several of these at a auto shop they use to change oil in. I asked the guy if he would order me some, he did no problem. $ 4.00 ea shiny new can't beat that. I made these for durability and they sure can take the hard knocks, Filled they feed 50 big breed chickens per day, again with no waste, great in bad weather, the handle carries the weight very easily, and the lid keeps the birds out of the inside. I really like em.

AL​

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:very well said, if I see a need for something for the chooks, I just brainstorm ( small storm ) hehe, for a while, and go out to the barn and just make one. In the process I find ways to improve it, it is fun and rewarding to do it.

AL

10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Al, do you have a pic of that feeder? Unfortunately the forum uploaded pics don't last long. I'm having a problem with a few Seramas going through 3 pounds of feed a day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by