Best kind of Pressure Cooker...?

I have two, both Presto. One that holds about 6 quarts and one huge, tall canner. They work great! I've had them both for about two years now and I haven't had any problems yet. They both have a back-up safety feature in case the pressure gets too high. They're sturdy and a good value.

Sorry I can't help you. Mine came from Montgomery Wards 30 years ago.
lau.gif

Are you looking for a pressure COOKER or a pressure CANNER? They are different things. If you are wanting a pressure canner, Presto makes very nice ones, I have 8 of them.

It may come up with the same thing, but they are different. For a starter pressure canner, I would go with a Presto. Our first one came from Walmart and I believe it cost around $45 and holds 7 quart jars. If you think canning is something you are going to do a lot of and do it for a long time, check out Lehmans and look at their canners. Very expensive, but worth the money.

Also, check out backwoods home and read Jackie Clay's articles. Investing in her canning book is also a good idea. She is a canning guru, does it all year and has for many years. The Ball blue book is also a good one to have on hand.

I have an All American, they are known as the industry standard and will last a lifetime. The nice thing about them is that they don't use gaskets, you just put some petroleum jelly around the rims and screw down the clamps. They come in different sizes.

Sometimes you can luck out and get one second hand (I scored mine for $20 at the thrift store), but otherwise you will be paying a nice chunk of change for it.

Last edited:
All-American is the BEST, hands-down.

You can make a few simple alterations on a VINTAGE "National" and have the same thing.

I am speaking of the "canners" which can, of course, be used as "cookers" also.

I have a few of them...all "converted" Nationals, except a small "cooker" which is an ancient "Mini-Maid" (or some-such similar name ---it is good for small roasts.)

IF you wish to convert a Vintage "National" pressure-canner to be like an All-American (a fraction of the cost of an All-American), "Click" on the Link below:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cookware/msg10142458877.html

This will tell you how to do the SIMPLE "conversion".

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom