Best knife for gutting

They all go dull pretty quick. Just get one with a smooth sturdy blade and bring the sharpener with you. One sharpen will work if you are only doing one chicken but if you are doing many you will find the need to sharpen it again.

The woman that I took a processing class from uses a razor knife with replaceable blades both for slitting the throat and eviscerating. Visible on the cutting board in the photo

Last edited:
I use a Chefs knife from start to finish, but I am use to handling a large knife, newby I would recommend a boning or a paring knife. Make sure it's good quality forged steel! Whenever I'm at a flea market or garage/estate I am always looking out for good steel.

I use combination of  this boning and skinning knife  and this Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife when butchering any of our poultry. They're all inexpensive but sharpen and hold up well.

X2

I love the blade, the second one in the Meyerco picture (first link posted).

My finger sits in that hole, so with blood and guts all over me the knife doesn't slip, which I LOVE.

Like the other posters said, you NEED to keep sharpening whatever blade you use. (Or disposable ones I guess)

I once tried to slit the necks of four roosters at one time. The first neck cut like butter, the second was OK, the third, wasn't great, and the fourth I had to saw a bit and was wondering WHY I hadn't resharpened the blade.

I don't find that the gutting dulls the blade so fast as the neck slitting. :confused:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom