Best knife for gutting

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BatonRougeChick, Mar 12, 2014.

1. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Hi everyone. I am looking for recommendations on a good, sharp knife that makes skinning and gutting a rooster easier. Please let me know if you have a favorite!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    They all go dull pretty quick. Just get one with a smooth sturdy blade and bring the sharpener with you. One sharpen will work if you are only doing one chicken but if you are doing many you will find the need to sharpen it again.

3. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    The woman that I took a processing class from uses a razor knife with replaceable blades both for slitting the throat and eviscerating. Visible on the cutting board in the photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  4. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    I use a Chefs knife from start to finish, but I am use to handling a large knife, newby I would recommend a boning or a paring knife. Make sure it's good quality forged steel! Whenever I'm at a flea market or garage/estate I am always looking out for good steel.

5. AlishaT

AlishaT New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Johnstown, Pennsylvania
  6. Klutch

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    What is the chainsaw for??:)

7. Klutch

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    Razor blades and scalpels work great. I just don't fill comfortable without a sharps container for the spent blades.

8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

X2

I love the blade, the second one in the Meyerco picture (first link posted).

My finger sits in that hole, so with blood and guts all over me the knife doesn't slip, which I LOVE.

Like the other posters said, you NEED to keep sharpening whatever blade you use. (Or disposable ones I guess)

I once tried to slit the necks of four roosters at one time. The first neck cut like butter, the second was OK, the third, wasn't great, and the fourth I had to saw a bit and was wondering WHY I hadn't resharpened the blade.

I don't find that the gutting dulls the blade so fast as the neck slitting. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Hahahaha, the class was at a "farm school" day, and the next class was on chainsaws.

10. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by