1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best laid plans!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tmarr, Sep 23, 2015.

1. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Well I posted a while ago about my pool mysteriously emptying itself and upon further investigation it does have a leak, the joy! I've got a massive pool of my daughters from last year that I was hoping to use for them in the spring and as winter is setting in I guess I could patch this one and keep topping it up. But I now have to make a decision I can either extend the pen and put a large deep pool in or keep it where it is and make it slightly bigger. Would a pond vacuum suck out the water for me? I've tried different types of syphons but they don't work! :(

2. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    My Husband got me a sump pump to empty my kiddie pool for the ducks. It's small, runs on electricity, easier than a bucket, I attach a hose and let it drain into a low area of the duck yard. Ducks love it, they dabble in it while I clean the pool. Check out your local hardware store, or harbor freight if you have one.

"WAYNE" Submersible 3/10 HP sump pump is the one I have

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    I also got a sump pump from Amazon, and love it. My knees aren't so good any more and weilding a bucket was no fun. I attach a garden hose and it quickly waters my fruit trees and garden areas.

Superior Pump 91025 1/5 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
    by Superior Pump

1 person likes this.
  4. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Brilliant thanks folks! I've been busy getting the pen ready! Maybe Santa will bring me one lol!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by