best large for the north????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vickiw, Dec 16, 2012.

1. vickiw

vickiw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Hi everyone! looking to pick the brains of all you knowledgeable chicken folks. I have 3 older (rescued) Black Stars and 1 mutt chick in my little coop right now. I have room to add 2 or 3 more hens without crowding and trying to decide on a breed. I live in northern WI so we can have some nasty cold winters. I am looking for a breed that will be easy to handle (like my current ladies) and preferably a good layer of brown eggs and of course must be cold hardy. This far north, heat tolerance really isn't an issue. Meat not either since my girls are strictly "eggs and entertainment". Any suggestions??????

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  3. vickiw

vickiw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    TY for all the great links Chicksaresweet!!!!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You are welcome. Enjoy your chickens, whichever breed you get!

5. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    I have several breeds. Leghorns - tall thin single comb, can have a tendency to get frostbite I've heard, white egg. Red Stars- shorter comb, heavier bird, so far so good, brown egg. Easter Egger's - short comb, nice birds, green/blue eggs, friendly and curious. Silver Laced Wyandottes - big plump birds, beautiful, short comb, very cold hardy I'm told, brown egg, some people report theirs are bullies in their flock, mine aren't. Banty Brahma - cute, fun to watch run, not sure about cold hardy mine hasn't had problems so far that I can detect. Silkie - sweet rooster, never attacks, good at guarding the girls, I think cold hardy, heat isn't so great for them though (I had a Silkie hen that died because of the heat, hen laid white eggs). Blue Copper Marens - I have two roos, large birds, I think they're cold hardy, hens lay dark brown egg, curious and friendly. Jersey Giant - Nice bird, lays brown egg, friendly, shorter comb, should be cold hardy. Spangled Hamburg mix - no idea how cold hardy they are, they are doing fine so far, white egg. Check out the different breeds in the "Breeds" tab here on BYC. It has helped me.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Buckeyes and Chanteclers were specifically bred for colder weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by