1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best large laying breeds, that are also quite and friendly

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sire12, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Sire12

Sire12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I want a couple more for my backyard, I know the best choice would be orpingtons because they are large and heavy so won't fly over my fence, good layers and lay large eggs and are also friendly and quiet but I've been checking the ads near me for a while now and haven't seen any breeders of orpingtons or australorps near me :( the most important trait is that they are somewhat quiet so I won't annoy the neighbours

2. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    Here's what I've found

Plymouth Rocks tend to be both. So do many people's Jersey Giants. Personally, I like wyandottes, although they are a little smaller then Rocks. My Brahmas have also been good layer. I have a couple of EEs who are just as large as my rocks and are currently my best layers, but EEs can be hit and miss. I'm also currently enjoying my Houdans, though most aren't as heavy as they as supposed to be (mine aren't).

As a side note: Even heavy birds can fly quite high, especially if they can see through the fence. You might want to build a run with your coop, and only let them wander your yard for a certain time, so they don't get too bored with their surroundings.

3. TriciaFran

TriciaFran New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Jersey Giants are big and friendly. Tricia

4. Sire12

Sire12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks guys :) I will keep an eye out for those

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by