Best layer acting sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5 Bird Bob, Aug 20, 2016.

1. 5 Bird Bob

5 Bird Bob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    I had a hen die last spring. She was laying huge eggs right before. She sat in her nest two days, looked swollen then died. I have another acting the same way. Both instances I have had a very active roo im the flock for safety and cause they're handsome. Is it possible she's broody. Both hens are Red sex links which aren't generally prone to broodiness I thought. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. robinwebs

robinwebs New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    I heard heat lamp work not sure if it's do but for sure its help keep them warm in the winter time

3. 5 Bird Bob

5 Bird Bob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    I'm thinking broody. Should I kick her out and collect to break her, as I don't want chicks bred that close. The roo is her son.

4. robinwebs

robinwebs New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    i don't know if that make a differance but i think collecting the eggs is good too

5. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    It is unlikely your RSL is broody. I always quarantine for observation. 24 hours indoors where you can see what is going on and look her over for any indications or symptoms that might not be easy to spot right off the bat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by