best layer for hot climate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tad, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    I live in the very southern tip of Texas, and it is normally hot and humid.
    Looking for a layer that will preform in a hot and humid climate.
    This layer also needs to hybridize well with dark cornish, so that the eggs that dont make it to the skillet produce a decent cross for a meat bird, I know these hybrid offspring wont have the feed conversion that a cornish x rock has but they will be a little better than what I am getting now with my current stock of dominique x sussex, so eggsperts what do you all have to say?
    ahhh and brown eggs are preffered......react......

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I am on the south/eastern part of LA, and I use Rhode Island Reds. I have had a lot of them in my life and find them to be very productive. If I want more eggs than that, I go for the white egg layers, but most of them are crazy and won't give much meat. To tell the truth, I prefer to have every kind of chicken imaginable, but husband wanted one breed and we both agreed that RIRs would take care of us......they always had.

3. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    North Central Texas is our area. Dam* hot for more than 100 days of summer here with less than or more than humidity. Depending on the storms. Can go from less than 10% to 100% in an afternoon.
    Our breeds consist of:
    Austrolorps
    RIR
    Barred Rocks
    Red sex links
    Buff Orphingtons

Best egg production is in this order:
    Austrolorps
    Red sex links
    RIR
    Buff Orphingtons
    Barred rocks

Best broody hens:
    Bantam cochins at 8 months
    Barred rocks
    RIR
    Buff Orphingtons
    Austrolorps
    Red sex links

4. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I am with Big C, Those are all really good breeds for the heat, we are in Houston..so the heat is abundant here as well
    We also have California White Leghorns and Wyandottes, they have been very good, but my best is probably the Australorp.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Any mediteranian breed should be good in heat, problem is, they're usually lean birds so that eliminates thim for your wants... I had been told that Brammas are very good in heat but I don't know it for a fact.

I agree that Rhode Island Reds would be very good, already a fairly meaty bird, they were the first chickens I raised and I'm partial to them. Ohio has hot humid summers, and mine always adjusted well, though I had plenty of shade for them. Many people say the roosters are 'mean' I disagree, in my experience, that is not the case, though they are NOT cuddly, give them their space and they'll be good flock protectors and leave you be IMO.

It makes sense that Australorps would be good in heat too, they have good sized combs which are part of chicken's cooling process, and they were developed in Australia, a place that is no stranger to hot weather.

Hope that helps!

1 person likes this.
  6. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    good stuff so far, keep them coming, Big C my aunt lives in Vernon!!

7. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Quote:Cool!
    She has probably been in our store.
    Have a good day!

8. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Speckled sussex are pretty good - great foragers, too! Mediterranean breeds, too, but they can be flighty and not have much meat on them. I just avoid the super heavy (jersey giants and buff brahmas and the like) and I also avoid too many light colored ones as they the easiest spotted by predators.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. Tad

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    leaning towards red sex link, maybe the australorps...but prolly the sex links.

10. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Quote:Both are great for egg production. In our experience with the breeds:
    Austrolorps production ratio: 94%
    Red sex links: 95%

This is per day.

Production notes about the sex links:
    1. The life lay span will be shorter since they are bred for quick ex large egg production.
    2. Egg size is most always extra large, from the start of lay point
    3. Slow to adapt to your coop/runarrangements. Depending on the age you purchase them.

Production notes about Austrolorps:
    1. The life lay span will be longer since it was not bred specific as sex links.
    2. Egg size eventually is comparable to red sex links when mature birds. We mix these with our sex links in cartons that we sell. Color is slightly different.
    3. Adapt easily to coop/run arrangements. Better foragers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by