Best layers of white eggs, no white birds though

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pascopol, Oct 30, 2010.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Looking for Mediterranian class best egglayers, no white birds, since they do not last long on free range (magnet to predators).

Are brown leghorns the best layers among colored light breed birds?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I like my crested Polish, honestly. If you get them from a hatchery, they lay just as frequent as other breeds. (At least mine do. I count on them every day)

I also free range mine, and with their blending colors in our pasture, they've never been picked off. In fact, I've lost two girls in the forest for 2 weeks and found them alive and unscathed. [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well you have what I think is the all time best white egg layer and that is Game Breeds like American Game and Standard Old English but you could also go with;

Leghorns --
    Dark Brown
    Light Brown
    Buff
    Black
    Silver
    Red
    Black Tailed Red
    Golden Duck-Wing

Minorcas --
    Black
    Buff

White Face Black Spanish

Blue Andalusians

Anconas

Buff Catalanas

Hamburgs --
    Silver Spangled
    Golden Spangled
    Golden Penciled
    Silver Penciled
    Black

Chris

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    You can add to the list Sicilian Buttercups.

Small pretty chickens, smaller eggs the 1st season, but then regular size eggs.
    Would rather free range than eat feed. But they can fly and are independent when in a flock of same.
    Can handle the heat.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I adore my Golden Campines who are 3 months old or so. They haven't started laying yet obviously. They are flighty, meaning that they don't want to be held or caught. But they are friendly and come up to me to "smile" at me.

They are not too cold hardy. I have 19 of them.

They constantly go in and out of my large fenced garden- they really have to not be penned up in small quarters to be satisfied with life. They fly well.

6. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I have been threw tons of birds trying to find the perfect white laying stock and to make a long story shortout of 7 breeds I have sold off every last flock but my Minorca's they clearly lay the best white eggs. There so crisp they crack right open. in my experience they win hands down. They even out layed my White leghorns which I were definatly unimpressed with. There to flighty of a birds skittish and agressive in large open flocks.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Who on here breeds Golden Duckwing Leghorns?

I've never seen one!

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Minorca hands down...many of the other breeds mentioned don't lay that large of an egg..the Minorca will lay jumbo just as the white leghorn does and does lay as well as the white..my white lay 6-7 days a week jumbo by weight every day so I can't say outlay but they are awesome hens.

9. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Houdans! [​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:What is the Minorca's personality, if I might ask?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by