Best Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dorthal, Jan 22, 2010.

1. dorthal

dorthal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    North Alabama
    I am looking for the breed of large chicken that would be the best layer, also to use as a broody hen. I am really fond of the Turken (naked neck). Does anyone know how they lay. I have heard they are good layers, and that they set pretty good. If there is one that does both that you are familiar with, please share.

Thanx,

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    I have Buff Opingtons and they lay very well and they also go broody alot. I also have Black Australorps they are awsome layers too, but don't go broody as often.

3. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Gold Comets, none better. They're also called Red Sex Links. We have 19 and we've been averaging 18 eggs from them each and every day since the first of November. Since January 1st we've gotten 397 eggs. They lay great big brown eggs and they are people friendly too. The best layer you can get.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] from Wisconsin!

5. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    You've come to the right place for Turken advice!! [​IMG] I LOVE MY TURKENS!! They are docile and great winter layers! Mine have laid great all winter long (even when it was 1 degree for a week) with no supplemental heat or light. They lay a good sized egg for their size too! Here are some of my girls!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dorthal

dorthal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    North Alabama
    Thanks guys, So, I know definitely Turken, and I like the sound of the Gold Comet, since you can tell the sex when they hatch. I hope I can find the Gold Comet local.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by