1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jane Jill Jack, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    [​IMG]I am goimg to get severaal chickens this coming spring and would like to know which breeds are the best layers, as well are pretty calm. Are Easter Eggers and Arecaunas good layers? Thanks!

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    yes, I have 1 rhode island red, 1 black sex link and 2 EE's. The EE's are the most reliable. This is also their first winter.

3. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    That's good to know because I sure would like some colored eggs. [​IMG]

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I think RIRs are great layers [​IMG]

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    My EEs just started laying a few weeks ago. Out of my two pullets that are laying (both EEs), I'm getting about 8-10 eggs a week. Also, they didn't start until they were 26 weeks (Shania is almost 29 now and STILL hasn't laid). So just be prepared to wait a bit longer to get the purdy green/blue eggs! It's worth it! [​IMG]

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My GCs were great their first year and a half, starting to slow down now.

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Easter Eggers can vary quite a lot in laying ability. Some are awesome layers, others are awful and will only give a couple dozen eggs a year. Easter Eggers are mutts and each hatchery has their own recipe. McMurray for instance has some pretty crappy EEs if you're after high egg production. Cackle and Ideal have good production EEs. One trait of most EEs is later maturity. You'll have to wait about four weeks longer for them to start laying.

Other breeds to consider for high brown egg production are Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Red Sexlinks (aka Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, Red Stars, etc.), and Black Sexlinks (aka Black Stars). If you don't mind white eggs, White Leghorns are the best laying breed.

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:Mine came from MyPetChicken (their actual hatchery, not one of the ones they drop-ship from). I would consider them good egg layers; very consistant. I think I've only had one day so far that I didn't get at least one egg out of the two.

9. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I like black austrolorps alot.There very calm and docile,smart,good foragers and actually have the record title of most eggs layed in a year by a chicken.But that was under conditions were they were pampered like crazy but they still lay almost every day of the week for me.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Mine came from MyPetChicken (their actual hatchery, not one of the ones they drop-ship from). I would consider them good egg layers; very consistant. I think I've only had one day so far that I didn't get at least one egg out of the two.

Yes, I've heard MPC is another great place to get EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by