Best Laying Bantam?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Berkshiremom, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Berkshiremom

Berkshiremom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Western MA
    I was curious as to which breed of bantam lays the most eggs? I'm thinking of getting a few, but still want good egg production. Thanks in advance.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have had Serama/OEGB and Serama/d'Uccle bantams for a year. They started laying at 5 months and began pumping out eggs at what to me was an astonishing rate: each hen laid 6 and even sometimes 7 eggs a week! This continued until the flock all got fowl pox in the fall; when they started laying again we were into winter and production dropped off but I was still getting an egg or two from each one every week. Then this spring it was back up to an egg a day most days. I let all three go broody and hatch out clutches. Now they're back to laying and even with this extremely hot weather I'm getting 5-6 eggs a week from each of them. I don't know if this is typical of the breeds or not, though.

The eggs are small, of course, and the proportion of yolk to white is higher in such a small egg.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Leghorns come in bantam, and I know their LF counterparts lay alot of eggs.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My faverolles bantam vary between 4-7 eggs a week. Usually around 5 or 6 a week and mine lay through the winter.

Henry

5. crazyegg

crazyegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    The Volunteer State
    Probably bantam leghorns. If you want little brown eggs, maybe bantam Plymouth rocks. Both are very cute breeds. The "cute" factor is very important to me with bantams. [​IMG]

6. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    My bantam Rhode Island Reds can put some of my standards to shame! The eggs are very big too, considering her size. She was a freebee packing peanut and is my (very cute) Little Red Hen.

7. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    my japanese lays about 6 eggs a week

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    My D'Uccles are laying machines...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by