1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best laying breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman17, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    What are the best breeds of chickens for consistent large brown egg laying?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The ISA Brown is the CornishX of the brown egg laying world. Selectively bred for over 30 years and holder of most of the world's records for brown egg production. Available, as far as know, only through Townline Hatchery, Zeeland, MI.

That said, most red sex links are prolific layers of brown eggs. There isn't much that can top them. It is what they are bred for. They are light weight, similar to the white egg laying champ, the Leghorn. Usually friendly and pretty easy going.

3. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    My Rhode Island Red lays darkish brown eggs, and I get one about every day.

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I love our Golden Comets which are hybrids between a White Rock female and a New Hampshire male.They are lovely girls, with great personalities, and they lay regularly, about 28 eggs a month.

5. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    I like RIR's, BR's BO's, Wyandottes, Delawares, all lay daily, just skip a day every now and again. These breeds have beat the ISA-Browns in my experience, some say the ISA's are the best. I stick with breeds that have been here for a while, not a fairly new breed. if they were good for our ancestors, then they should be good for us! [​IMG] I'd go with the old heritage breeds such as: the Rhode Islands, Barred rocks, buff orpingtons, delawares, wyadottes, ya can't beat them!

6. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Rhode Island Reds always lay a ton and are also good for meat.

My Black Australorp never failed to leave an egg in the nest. She never stopped for 4 months until she started molting [​IMG]

But My Barred Rock and my Rhode Island Red are still laying everyday even through this harsh cold weather.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hybrids (not actual breeds) are THE most reliable layers for about 2 years (ISA Browns, Gold Sex-Links, Amberlinks, Hylines, etc)

Australorps and Leghorns are THE most reliable purebred chickens for about 3 years.

Either of them dwindle drastically in production after that though. Either you use up all your stock now, or you spare a little each year and last longer.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:I also prefer having heritage breeds on the property for their personality and the color they bring to the fabric of life. I love my RIR and especially the BRs we keep.
    That said, none of them hold a candle to the ISA for early lay, (16 weeks vs. 22 weeks) size of egg, feed conversion and sheer production. The RIR and BRs we have lay 280 eggs a year, which is outstanding, but the ISA lays 330+.

But again, the ISA is NOT a breed. It is a hybrid. F!, first generation, non sustainable hybrids. They are also not dual purpose. There is very little flesh on their bodies, really.

We have both traditional breeds and ISAs and production birds for the egg business. Each have their place and purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by