best looking and laying Barred Rock rooster cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dperrin, Mar 13, 2017.

1. dperrin

dperrin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Hi, Curious if anyone could offer a recommendation for a female chicken breed that could produce an interesting looking, good laying offspring when crossed with a barred rock rooster?

I'm looking at getting four fresh layers for my small backyard flock and thought it might be fun if some mutt / hybrid offspring were to come of things.

From what I've read, barred roosters (of any type) do not produce a sex linked bird. I'm not too concerned about a sex link trait but would like an interesting looking bird that lays well - if possible.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Cross him with white leghorns----that should be interesting and good Layers!

3. dperrin

dperrin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    thanks for the suggestion! I'll give that a try

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Interesting looking is going to be a challenge IMO. A pure black barred rooster is going to give you pretty much black barred offspring. Black is very dominant, breeding him to anything red will pretty much give you a black bird with some red leakage.

Buff does hold it's own against black from what I've seen. Folks seem to wind up with a bird with both colors, very pretty.

Dominant white, such as the Leghorns carry, turns black into white. So you'd probably wind up with a white bird with random black flecks. The bird would genetically be barred still, but you'd likely not be able to see it, or the bird may have subtle "ghost barring", only visible upon close inspection.

For good egg production, go with a good laying hen. Leghorn, sex link, etc. You'll be happy with the babies.

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Quote: I am sure happy with my intentional crossed white leghorns whom Lay real good and now lay cream colored eggs instead of white!!! As far as Interesting I thought my Crossed leghorns with a few black/gray feathers and my others that have some slightly mingled red feathers from their head down some on the off white feathers were----Interesting!!! LOL

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm going to be trying something similar this year---I have white Leghorns I'll be putting under my blue barred, blue egger rooster. so maybe white birds with blue flecks instead of black, and blue eggers....that's what I'm hoping for, anyway!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by