Best material for outdoor run area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dawneebird, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dawneebird

Dawneebird Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Pensacola
    I have a run area attached to my coop. I live in Florida so it is pretty much always wet here. I am having trouble keeping the floor clean for my girls. I first had a dirt floor in the run but it would just get muddy and mix with poop then harden. Yuck. I was digging it out but I would eventually reach China. Then I tried pea gravel and sand. Pretty much the same thing happend just with rocks. Lastly I tried drainage rocks and sand....still not too good. We have had ALOT of rain. What do you think? More rock? More sand? Or do you think just pour concrete and put pine shaving on it?? HELP! I don't want my girls to get sick from having wet feet all the time! THANK YOU!![​IMG]

2. If you can afford it, pour a slab (or use hard surface stone/rock), enclose the perimeter with concrete (like curbing) WITH drainage holes. This would make it elevated above ground level. Then draining can take place and leave your sand or shavings high and dry.

3. I feel for you as my water table is only 3' to 6' below the surface here.

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I live in the rain forest, it rains here from fall to late spring. What I have done is used patio stones that are 2ft by 2 ft. It put 4 by 4 posts on the ground and laid my stones on top. It works. This is in my coop.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Also out in the run I get a truck load of wood chips without cedar from a tree cutting service and its free, keeps there feet from being mucky from the wet dirt.

6. Dawneebird

Dawneebird Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Pensacola
    Thank you so much!! Don't know what I would do without your input! I'll let you know what happens!

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Your welcome :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by