1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Meat AND Egg Breed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by austrolover1, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Austrolorps

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Orpingtons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wyandottes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Giants

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    I was thinking somewhere on the lines of Orpingtons, Austrolorps, Giants, or Wyandottes for good meat and egg production. Please post comments...

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Why any patriotic red blooded American would want an Orp or Autral-Orp is beyond me. One must remember that the Orpington was a concerted effort of England to have an national breed that could catch up to the American Plymouth Rock. It was the standard of utility and all others were measured and found wanting. I will say that the work done in Austrailia on the original black Orpington is to be commended. Truely they made a worthy utility breed- Australorp. By no means is that effort and high quality of utility still around in today's Australorps. The same can be said of Barred Plymouth Rocks. Though there is a variety of Rock that still hold to that high value of a true dual purpose breed. That would be the White Plymouth Rock. There really is no equal for utility- eggs and fine table bird.

3. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    I completely forgot about Plymouth Rocks I will definitely look into those. Anyone have any other suggestions?

4. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Central Maine
    Delawares and New Hampshires are common favorites. I was surprised how fast my NH roosters got to a good size.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    My Brahmas lay well, make nice eye candy in the yard, and have much more meat on them than my Orpington. Brahmas were used for meat in India.

6. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I haven't been keeping long but ended up with one Delaware, she put on weight a lot faster than the "layer" breeds and while she has only been laying a little over 3 weeks the eggs are big and at least 5 a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by