Best meat bird.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken Girl, May 5, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    We would like to know what the best TASTING meat bird is. The cornesh X rocks are good for fast meat, but they dont tast as good as they could. What are the best? Thanks! And we need to order are birds soon!

Chicken Girl

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    beef

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I've never noticed a taste difference between my meaty Cornish cross broilers and excess layer cockerels. They are all yummy!

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have heard that Java's are the tastiest chicken meat. We have mottled javas and our excess roos will be dinner....we'll see if it's true.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I have heard that the Buckeyes are great, but I haven't butchered any of mine yet, but that's part of what they were bred for originally.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The only difference between different breeds taste (especially broiler birds and home-raised birds) is the difference in feed.

Broilers are meant to have a nice, fast developing flesh that remains tender. Dual purpose breeds are meant to be used for either eggs or meat. The dual purpose birds will become tough if not processed early in life. Broilers will remain tender until approximately a year of age, if you can keep one alive that long.

7. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    We thought are broilers would tast better. They are not tender like the good ones at the store. so how old do you butcher a dual bird? Thanks!

Chicken Girl

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    You can butcher a dual purpose at any time, but they are most tender if you butcher before 6 months of age. Of course they're not full grown by then...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by