1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best meat breed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by evergreen001, Aug 13, 2013.

1. evergreen001

evergreen001 New Egg

Jul 13, 2013
    what's the best meat birds besides Cornish X?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Freedom Rangers for something that grows almost as fast.

For much slower growing heritage meat which also leads to more flavor. Dorking, Black Penedesenca and Poulet Bresse.

3. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Welcome Evergreen001 to BackYard Chickens. Im sure you will find the vast community here a great resource of knowledge and expeirence.
    Well all chickens have meat on their carcasses so what make for the best meat bird can be a matter of opinion. What are you looking for in a chicken beside meat? Laying ability? Over all size? Growth rate? Feed conversion ratio? Broodiness? Egg color? Temperment? Color? Forage ability? Cold/Heat tolerences? Basically what do have for expectations of a "meat" bird.
    Here is a link to your same question: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754619/best-meat-breed

I love my Delawares when it comes to an alernative to the Modern Commercial hybrid broilers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    my backyard of cornish sustain just fine for me and others. real cornish, not the knock off CX birds.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We have Dark Cornish and they make great meat birds for us, we also like Marans for the taste. This year we have been breeding Marans hens to DC roosters to see if we can get the best of both worlds. The offspring are about 3 months old now so we still have a ways to go on them.

6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    I find that my dark cornish aren't my best backyard meat bird as they are a little too 'show quality'. some of my other colors not only out perform them, but are more pleasing to the eye!

7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Wishfull thinking ... the Cornish X has NO peer !!

8. SJ

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I would love some pics as i have some half breeds with a White Laced Red cornish roo over buckeyes, orpington, new hampshire reds, chantecler, dominiques, white rock, Rhode Island White, and DelawarexOrpington hens. Mine will be 4 months on tuesday. Which turns out to be butchering day. I get pics put on my profile.
    In the volume of meat produced...true. In growth rate and feed conversion...true. In inability to range and naturally reproduce...true. In flavor or lack there of...true.

9. SJ

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Haters gonna hate... I am the Cornish cross hater.LOL

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    First 2 points are true , while the last 2 are false . If only one takes the time , education, and have culinary skills one would hummmmmm a different tune. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by