Best Meat Chicken for South and Cost?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SouthernBYChickens, Dec 13, 2012.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Hey Guys and Gals. I have been raising egg-layers for about 4 or 5 years. I am considering trying my hand at raising some meat birds and processing them for my family and possibly selling some. My questions are this: What breed would you recommend to raise in the South during the spring and then what is the going price for a locally raised, farm-fresh chicken (processed)? Thanks for your responses!!!

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Commerciall Broilers (Cornish Cross) without a doubt will be your best option for a meat bird.

3. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks Lazy J. Would you have any idea what I would ask for one if selling them processed?

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they are all to be butchered, you will get the best feed conversion and the most breast meat from Cornish Cross. I don't recommend trying to raise them when the weather will be hot. They don't do heat well.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Do you want to order them each year, or have a flock always on hand? If ordering each year, Cornish X and freedom rangers are really the choices that will bulk up more and faster for less. I was very impressed with the flavor of a red ranger we tried.

Cubalayas (less meat on them from what I hear, they are supposed to be very tasty though), naked necks, javas, and astralops are said to handle heat very well if wanting to build up a meat flock that is self-sustainable. Euskal Oiloa too, but I have not managed to see how they dress out, and am only interested in them for eggs myself. Those are some breeds I am looking into in an area where temps can stay at over 100 degrees for months, and rarely drop below freezing in the winter. I would research what breeds do well in your area. You might be able to have a quality flock of dorkings, rocks, standard Cornish, Delewares, etc.

Are you near a city? I just moved from a city and we bought beef and chicken from market savvy farmers who made planned trips to a drop off location. Bought a chest freezer just for that reason and were extremely happy with the quality of products. Raw goat milk and goat products also sold well at an honor based stand on the small acreage of a long time goat dairy within city limits. Prices probably depend quite a bit on where you are at. I would look up people in your area and see what they are selling things like pasture raised Cornish, heritage birds, etc. at.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by