Best meatie other than Cornish X?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by smith2, Nov 9, 2008.

1. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    What is your favorite meat bird if you are not interested in Cornish cross birds? We don't like all the white meat on a Cornish X. We mostly like the dark meat.

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    we like guinea fowel.. you will also.

As for chickens, We have mostly Buff Orpingtons.. they are a good multi-purpose chicken..

any chicken is good to eat..

I do not buy CornishXrock because I hatch all I want of the BO's..

we like to butcher the hens because they fit into freezer bags much easier. the Roosters have such long legs and longer body configuration.. we usually cut them into halves or quarters for freezing...

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I am thinking about doing the dark cornish so we interested in this post. Surprised more people didn't answer.
    Does anyone ever use just the red and black broilers I see in the hatchery catalogs?

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We have a nice selection of birds to chose from for our table. If you like leg/thighs the Buff Orpingtons have the biggest. The Dark Cornish have a very good flavor. One of the best tasting birds we have is the Cuckoo Marans (I will probably get lynched in the Marans group for saying this).

Steve in NC

6. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I stand and look through the run...like the biggest predator of all. I want to get myself a Wiley Coyote T-shirt. Just licking my lips as I watch the legs and thighs get bigger. Mmmmm chicken.

But these are the layers...or so they say! They look like dinners to me.[​IMG] I can't imagine one of these gals tasting bad.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:These are Cornish Crosses with different colored feathers. Generally the colored broilers are a few weeks slower. I've heard everything from people finishing them in as little as 9 weeks; I've heard people disappointed in them at 14 weeks. I've heard they've died left and right, and others had no problem.

The names "red broiler" or "black broiler" are just too generic for anyone to be able to say if the birds are the same from one hatchery to the next.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Lol, well those culled marans have got to go somewhere.

Thanks for the info. on the broilers. I really have no idea which to try, lol. I think I will try a few of them all and see what I like the best.

[​IMG]

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    One more question. When do you butcher marans? How old? [​IMG]

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

we LOVE RIR meat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by