Best med for coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickieshealing, Jan 17, 2012.

1. chickieshealing

chickieshealing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    I tried amprol, and it didn't work. Any idea what is the best med for this?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    How long did you try it for - what was the dosage? WHat brand and what type?

Are you sure they had cocci?

3. chickieshealing

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    It has been 7 days on 9.6% doing the second highest dosage-4.73cc/gal. of water. It started with blood in the stools, which subsided somewhat, but my rooster who had it the worst is now very groggy and foaming at the mouth. There is no more blood in his stools, but I can tell he hasn't eaten much by the white and bright green. There is still a minimal amount of blood in other chicken stools though.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use Corrid-V in EVERYBODY'S water. I had a horrible outbreak November a year ago and lost 12 birds in three days. The Corrid-V stopped it and saved some birds which were pretty sick. So now I keep it on hand.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    That is not the correct dosage, you have been giving them about 1/2 of what they need.

Dosage is 9.5cc per gallon of water for 5 days. Make sure you are not giving them any vitamins also while they are on amprolium.

6. chickieshealing

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    Awe!!! Should I give the normal dose now, or should I go higher because of the mess-up? I'm assuming it should work in a day or two like antibiotics right?

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

+1
    You should see improvement within 24 hours or so from my experience. Yes, go to the normal dose now as above IMO.
    I don't know what the foaming at the mouth is, but if he is not drinking you will have to take a syringe with some of the medicated water (mix-not pure amprolium) and put it alongside his beak so he can drink it (not pour it down his throat or anything).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

+3

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I was given Baycox by my vet when I had an outbreak last year. It is only a 2 day treatment and they went from being obviously sick to looking healthy after the first day. I was very impressed with it.

10. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

I work for a vet and we use albon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by