Best medicine

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by mankatogirls, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mankatogirls

mankatogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Mankato, MN
    Hi fellow chicken lovers. It's middle of winter and my girls need a boost. Not much sunshine these days let alone free ranging. I have a local tractor supply but it have expired electrolytes and probiotics. Any other ideas?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You could try poly visol without iron, a home made electrolyte solution, a little gatorade, yogurt(only once every 7-10 days), kale or other greens. what are they eating and drinking now? how is their egg out put?

3. mankatogirls

mankatogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Mankato, MN
    Not many eggs these days. Today was one out of 9 girls. We are struggling with health. Something is keeping them from eating/drinking much. Stinky watery green poop and they are puffed up. I've gone thru antibiotics/ de-wormer. Change of food. Can't find any change, though electrolyte might help. Thanks for the ideas, I'll try it.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hmmm, what kind of antibiotic and which de wormer? Antibiotics will help some respiratory infections but some have no cure. Birds who recover from the illness are carriers for life. It may take a long time for them to lay again. Have you treated for coccidiosis or lice and mites? Lice is pretty easy to see but mites are not. Wazine only kills round worms, valbazen kills most everything. They do need probiotics after antibiotics as that can give them the runs. Read this thread, especially post #9 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/755483/treating-upper-respiratory-infections [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by