1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best method of treatment for an open wound on hen's back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by muircheartaigh, Feb 25, 2014.

1. muircheartaigh

muircheartaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

My delaware hen has an open wound on her back, which looks like it came from a mount by my roo. I'm going to take action and trim his spur and talons so that it doesn't happen again. However, I am wondering about the best remedy, that does not involve "blue coat", that I could use to accelerate healing. I have her separated at this point in time from the flock until her wound scabs over. Any and all advice is much appreciated. You have to always expect the unexpected with animal husbandry.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Flush with saline. Then put Betadine on it. Campho Phenique will help relieve pain. Then pack with triple antibiotic ointment and she should be good as new.
    You might want to repeat every day.

3. muircheartaigh

muircheartaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Will the campho phenique cause any pain on a laceration/minor cut? I'll try your method tomorrow after work. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't believe so. It's supposed to be an antiseptic and pain reliever for scratches and cuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by