1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best method to sex white leghorns?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Invertalon, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Invertalon

Invertalon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hello everybody!

We bought (6) White Leghorns (although we only needed two) and have to get rid of four of them. A buddy of mine has chickens and may take them from me, but I was wondering, I bought these as pullets from TSC... Are these breeds easily sexed at the hatchery? Like the sex-links would be (by color)... Or do you have to just wait and see when they get older?

Appreciate it! I know some breeds can be done earlier then others visually... Any info would be great!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    White leghorn cockerels start developing significant combs and wattles quite a bit earlier than the pullets do. They were probably vent sexed at the hatchery which is dependent upon the skills of the "sexers."

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Hatchery white leghorns are bred for feather sexability, meaning they can be sexed by their wingfeathers within the first couple days of hatch. Pullets have 2 distinct rows of different lenght feathers and cockerals have just 1 even lenght row of wing feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by