Best milk goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NaturalChick, Nov 14, 2008.

1. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm looking into getting goats for milk, cheese, soap making, etc.

What breeds are best for good milk production?

Thanks

2. scarpat

scarpat New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    :)Hi, I think the Dairy Goats such as Nubians and alpines are really nice goats for the Milk, and have good temperments. There is also Toggenburgs , La Mancha, Oberhasli and Saanen.I Raise Boer Goats, they are your meat breed, but I do not eat them, strickly a hobby..

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You will get as many suggestions here as members. There is little difference amongst the breeds and their performance, so just go with a breed that looks good to you. Goats are noisey and fussy. You'll be spending lots of time iwth them. Don't pick ugly goats. I never considered La Manchas for this reason (sorry La Mancha owners).

[​IMG]

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    No problem...I have La Manchas, Alpines, Nubians and Nigerian Dwarfs...I love them all and the best milker I have is the La Mancha...

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I love the Toggenburgs and Alpines. They are my favorite because of looks and personality. I want some but my mom won't let me I am sure I will have a herd once I get my own place.

Henry

6. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    We had dairy goats years ago, one Nubian, and two Saanen. The Saanen were larger and gave more milk, but I preferred the Nubian, simply because she was hornless. We had to disbud the horns of the new Saanen kids. We lived in western Washington state. Have you ever had goats? We had to trim their hooves, worm them, and they require good hay. We bought hay from eastern WA because it was better. It was one of the happiest experiences of our family's life, but they do need care--especially good FENCES!

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree that the known milking breeds are pretty much all the same as far as milk taste goes. So, get a goat that you like the looks of.

Now, Nubians generally have the highest fat content in their milk so some people prefer them for butter, cheese making etc.

The biggest issues with goats milk is how clean your utensils are and how quickly you get the milk real cold and what the goat eats.

8. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks for the great posts, and keep'em coming!

My family had a few when I was young, so I know how much care they require.

I really think I like Nubians for looks and personality so far.

How is the fat separated from the milk, I remember it being pretty much
    pre-homogenized?

9. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I agree with Chirpy, the milk is very rich. Some say it is more like the Jersey cow milk. My son had allergies and went from mother's milk to goat milk. They are so much fun. Right after they are born, the kids are jumping off the wall. DH built a neat goat barn. Not very big but he had a milk stand for me and Dutch doors. We didn't keep a Buck--so smelly--but we paid a breeding fee and brought the buck to our does. Let me tell you, that buck could soar over fences. The woman who owned him let her animals free range and she wasn't very popular with her neighbors. Goats can ring fruit trees. Our goats were very gentle and fussy eaters. Once alfalfa was on the ground they wouldn't touch it. We also had them clear brush. My Nubian was beautiful. She was a dark brown with a silver streak down her back. Those were fun years with the two boys.

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You have to let goat's milk settle in the fridge for several days, then the cream will separate. But, that's a waste. Part of having your own goat is drinking whole milk. Once you get used to it, the flavor and texture, you'll NEVER be able to go back to store bought 2%. It's just white water.\\

Regarding butter fat content, there are claims from all breeds out there that they indeed have the highest fat content. The issue is not what will the highets performing strain of that breed give you, versus what will your average backyard goat produce? I suspect there is very little difference amongst the breeds in butter fat content.

Your management and care for the goats will make vastly more difference then their breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by