Best mix for sexlink offspring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fresheggs4u, Apr 7, 2009.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    What is the best mix of rooster and hen to produce a heavy layer? Standard breeds.
    Thanks!

2. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Also very interested in getting an answer to this question.

vortec

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    That`s a difficult question. Different strains of the same breed are often very different in their laying capacity. Any RIR roo-and white rock hen cross will give you a red sex link, but it won't necessarily yield the quality layers you get from a hatchery, where the lines have been intensively bred to give you the best laying capacity. Just like any cornish rock cross won`t give you the same results as those commercially bred.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The prospect of using a Production Red sire and a Production Black (California Grey) dam is almost driving me back into the rooster-keeping business!

Seems like good laying breed choices, to me.

. . . 2¢ ♫

Steve

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love my Cinnamon Queen. She lays almost every day and a LARGE darkish/cherry colored egg.

I think that's a Leghorn X RIR.

6. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    what fun - just hatched first batch of mixed mutt chicks and all sorts of questions are coming up...

Do anyone know if feathered feet are a dominant trait? If the roo has it and the hen not, will chicks have it? If so, will both roo and hen offspring have it??

It is interesting to play with egg color as well - saw on another egg laying color thread someone who crossed a blue layer w/a speckled one and has beautiful dark blue speckled eggs... Wow, wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by