Best Monday EVER!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pineywoods Peepers, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

So I took today off to study for a test. And I figure it's nice outside, so I'll let the peeps free range while I study at a table I've set up outside. While studying I hear one of the girls start cackling, and the other chickens join in. Hmm. Sounds like the sound chickens make when they lay an egg. So I stroll over to the coop and peek inside. Everyone just looks at me like "What? We're not doing nothing." So I go back to my studying. Thirty minutes later another chicken starts cackling and everyone joins in. These are my first chickens, but I'm convinced that must be an egg song. So I return to the coop and do more investigating. Down in the corner of the coop under the droppings pans I see a hole wallowed out in the shavings and I spot little brown eggs in the indention. I rush out of the coop to retrieve my camera, while simultaneously posting to facebook that I've got an egg sighting. Grab the camera, race back to the coop, snap a picture, then crawl back under the roosting pan to retrieve 6 precious eggs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm exceedingly impressed because my girls won't be 5 months old until December 7th, and because of the shorter days I really wasn't expecting them to start laying until they were closer to 6 months old. So I didn't even have the nest boxes ready for them thus the eggs in the corner of the coop. So I fill the nest boxes with shavings, stuck in some golf balls, and put the roosts down for the girls to access them. Meanwhile one of my Delawares, Weezy, was just giving me for what, fretting and pacing all over the coop - occasionally stopping to scratch a hole. So I'm thinking she must be ready to lay an egg too. So I grab her, put her on the roosts outside the nest boxes, and she quickly picks out a nest box and gets comfy. Twenty minutes later she's singing the egg song, and I have my 7th egg.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can you guess which one's Weezy's??

So I've got 7 eggs from my 14 confirmed pulletts who are less than 5 month old girls. Am I a proud mama?? You betcha!!

2. ChickenDreamer

ChickenDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Northern Ontario
    [​IMG] CONGRATS!!

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] good for them [​IMG]

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Still building the brooder and the coop and run........and I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!! I hope I can post pic's (note to self....work on that)[​IMG].

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] thats awesome!!!!

6. aschassberger

aschassberger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Congrats! [​IMG] That must have been quite a shock!

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Holy moly, that is a HUGE egg!

Congrats on finding all those eggs.

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Congrats!!! It is always so exciting to get those first eggs!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Thanks everyone! I got another one this morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by