??Best month to order chicks-North country

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by towhee360, May 7, 2009.

1. towhee360

towhee360 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    I've heard that when living far north, a person should get their chicks early in spring (April) so they have time to mature and start laying by late summer/fall and heard early spring is best because of something to do with better timing for first molt. (???) Anyone have any insight on this? We had our first chicks in April and disaster struck. We are now wondering whether to start over soon or if it would be better to wait until next April. Thank you.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You are ok to buy some now. They would be plenty old enough by December. GET THEM [​IMG]

3. dsedler

dsedler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm not getting mine until the end of the month. I waited this long because we are going on vacation in a week and I didn't want my housesitter to have to deal with baby chicks.

4. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Last year I got RIR & BO at the end of March. It was still below freezing. They were housed in an unheated building in a covered brooder with a heat bulb. Only lost 1. Began laying in Sept. Still have not molted and each averages 4-6 eggs per week. I'm hoping they hold off molt until Aug or Sept when the new ones start laying.

5. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:I don't know how far north you are but I'm in Alaska and I have a batch coming in 2 weeks but I feel confident they will be mature enough by the fall.

Good luck
    Michelle

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    what state are you in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by